From:
"J.D. Weintraub" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 1995 14:01:56 EDT
Can anyone provide me with latitude/longitude to the nearest minute
for any of the following places in Chile? (see below).  I've already
checked the 1967 and 1991 editions of the DMA gazetteer for Chile, as
well as the "Atlas de la Republica de Chile" [2nd ed., 1983] and didn't
find anything.  I suspect that most of these localities (indicated "*")
may be fairly recent place names that will only be on the most recent
topographic maps of Chile.  I would alternatively be interested in any
available e-mail addresses for map libraries or cartographic institutes
in Chile. Please reply directly to me at the e-mail address below.
Thanks in advance,

Jason Weintraub

LIST OF UNKNOWN CHILEAN PLACE NAMES (with additional info. on admin.div,etc.):

1*)"Elqui" [Coquimbo Region, presumably NOT Provincia Elqui]; this may refer
   to Nueva Elqui shown on a map in the "TURISTEL" Guia Turistica de Chile
   on Route 40 south of Juntas del Toro in the Rio La Laguna valley.

2*) Los Morongos [Maule Region; Curico Prov.; elev. 700m]

3*) Los Niches [Maule Region; Curico Prov.]

4*) Cespedes [Coquimbo Region; Choapa Prov.; near Illapel?]

5) Las Trancas [Los Lagos Region; Valdivia Prov.; near La Union]

6*) "Caledonia" [Bio-Bio Region; Bio-Bio Prov.; = Alto Caledonia?]