From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jun 2005 08:53:45 -0500
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Subject: RE: MAPS-L: reply to Question: Moving Map Cases
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005
From: "Carlucci, April" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum"

Carol

Here at the British Library we have our cases moved by the people at C+D
Engineering who made and installed them in the first place. Ideally, you
should have cases moved by the people who installed them, but that's not
always possible.

The best alternative is to take them apart completely before moving
them, which includes removing the drawers (you can try to remove them
with the maps still in them, but if they are over-heavy or the
mechanisms are not easy to overcome, the maps should come out) and
taking the units apart. Then rebuild them piece by piece in their new
location, including fitting the braces that hold them vertical and
steady.

As removing the drawers from the unit can be tricky, you may be able to
get away with removing the contents of the drawers but leaving the
drawers in tact, in which case you should secure the drawers before
moving (i.e., tape them up so they don't slide open). But in no case
should you try to move the stack as a whole. The bases are comparatively
fragile, and while fine for holding the stacks in place, the slightest
movement with all that weight above them risks bending and warping them
beyond use. Then you'll have another problem on your hands!

Good luck.

April

April Carlucci
Cataloguing Manager and Curator of Modern Maps
British Library Map Collections