From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 09:34:40 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 11:05:25 -0600
From: Nat Case <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: langitude and lontitude
Sender: Nat Case <[log in to unmask]>

How does the confusion about which lines are which differ from any
isoplethic representation, say isobars or contour lines? Latitude is
a measure of distance from the equator, measured using polar/angular
coordinates, and lines of latitude are "iso-lats," lines of equal
latitude, running therefore perpendicular to the increase in value.

My big problem in this case is with the names latitude and longitude,
neither of which is especially expressive of the meaning (and any
obvious mnemonics get misleading... which way is "long"?). I know its
not quite the same, but the nautical terms "northing" and "westing"
make a lot more sense to me.

I went to the dictionary just now to check and latitude comes from
Latin for "breadth," and longitude comes from "length." Not helpful
to me, as neither really involves direction. How about new words
altogether, like "polewise" and "sunwise?"  Pole/Sol instead of
Lat/Long? Oh well, I tried...

Another geographical designation that always confuses me is
small-scale and large-scale: small-scale maps show larger areas in a
smaller frame. They have a smaller scale if you think of scale as a
rational number (1/X), but in the rational scale the "other number"
(1:X) is larger. I've given up trying to use the terms with
laypeople, because it inevitably confuses them (and often me); I end
up saying smart-sounding phrases like "a map of the same area shrunk
down."

English is our friend, yes indeed.

Nat Case
Hedberg Maps, Inc