From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2006 15:27:49 -0500
Subject:        Library schools with map librarianship? - UW Madison option
Date:   Thu, 27 Apr 2006 15:03:43 -0500
From:   Salim Mohammed <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

SLIS, here at Madison (see signature file) does not have a joint degree
like University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee.  However there's nothing
stopping you from doing a dual degree here, which is what I did.  The
geography school is rated one of the best in the nation, and you can do
an MS in Cartography/GIS or Geography.  At SLIS, we have a geographer on
 faculty and he teaches a course on integrating and using GIS to help
libraries called Mapping Community Information Agencies.

Here's his website:

http://www.journalism.wisc.edu/~gdowney/index.php

and the course webpage is:

http://www.journalism.wisc.edu/~gdowney/courses/lis-gis/index.html

I know he will be more than willing to answer any questions one might
have, so do not hesitate to write to him. You may also write to me as I
am very interested in Map/GIS Librarianship and have taken classes
accordingly, in Geography and other departments on campus.
Incidentally, we also have a great place for library students to gain
experience in map collections: The Arthur Robinson Map Library (yes, the
Robinson projection came from this school).

Best Wishes, Salim
--
G. Salim Mohammed
Graduate Student, School of Library & Information Studies

[log in to unmask](608)442-0090(home)|(608)263-5674(wk)
"Live simply so others can simply live." - M.K. Gandhi.