Date:
Fri, 17 Feb 1995 13:06:17 EST

I have "lurked" on this research question for some time and have also
encountered it on other lists. The key definition here is "research",
isn't it? Similarly, I feel uncomfortable attempting to stereotype
certain questions as coming from students, ignoring them, while
attempting to answer others that I think are coming from non-students. It
is perhaps the electronic version of the letter that we have all seen
that simply says: "Please send me a list of all the maps you have?" I'm
tempted but I don't answer that one either!

I must admit that I almost totally ignore a request that comes from
someone who does not sign their name and therefore requires wasting
listserv time. I agree with Alice and Joan but will assist someone on the
Net if they show some review of research that they have already
completed.

There are reasons for periodical indexes - whether in paper or online -
and I should not have to be the one searching these for someone just
beginning their research. The "library without walls" is a concept that
has many positive implications and yet the anti-technologist in me wishes
to tell these people to "get to the library and slog through the paper
and computers and learn something" since I am not here to spoon feed you!

This is a serious issue and one not related only to the Internet. As GIS
creeps into more libraries the expertise and experience required to
produce maps will require more of our staff time. At what point do we
cross the bridge from answering a reference question to actually doing
the research? A lively discussion, on this very topic, was held one
evening at the recent ARL training session in College Park and revealed
several different opinions. Such discussions should continue.

David A. Cobb                           PH  (617) 495-2417
Harvard Map Collection                  FAX (617) 496-9802
Harvard College Library                 [log in to unmask]
Cambridge, MA 02138

                          VE * RI * TAS