From:
Frances Woodward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 1995 09:40:35 EDT
Alice Hudson asked for some mystery/detective fiction featuring maps.
MAPLINE had an issue on Conan Doyle and maps - No. 25, March 1982.

I have come across only four (three of which the public library seems to
have discarded!):
1.      ANDERSON, J.R.L.  Death in a High Latitude (1981)
          - features a search for William Baffin's map from his 1616
arctic voyage which has been stolen from the Museum of Cartography in
Cambridge [wouldn't that be an interesting place to visit!).
2.      JEFFREYS, J.G.  A Wicked Way to Die (1973)
          - Our hero, Jeremy Sturrock, solves his case with the aid of
"that most excellent Plan or Map of London recently engraved for the
Phoenix Fire Office by Mr Robert Horwood."  He comments that: "this, I
believe, the first occasion a map of London was ever used for putting
down crime.  If the time comes when every borough has its own police
office and force -- whether the public will put up with it or not -- some
such plan or map should be a part of every equipment."  The map referred
to is, of course, a real map, probably the first fire insurance plan,
Richard Horwood's Map of London, 1792-1799 (32 sheets, 26 in. to 1 mile.
3.      VANDERCOOK, John W.  Murder in Fiji
          - the copy I saw was published 1955, but may have been a
reprint.  Our hero uses several maps of one of the islands to track down
the murderer.
4.      GREEN, Thoas J.  The Flower Box (1980)
          - our heroes must solve a puzzle to find some diamonds.

I hope some more people can add to this list.  Perhaps Alice can post a
bibliography for us!  In the meantime, have a happy summer, everyone!
Fran W.

Frances Woodward, Special Collections & University Archives Division,
Main Library, University of British Columbia, 1956 Main Mall, Vancouver,
B.C. V6T 1Z1
Tel: (604) 822-2819  Fax: (604) 822-9587  E-mail: [log in to unmask]
"A picture may be worth a thousand words, but a map is worth a million!"