From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Maps, Air Photo & GIS Forum
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 2009 08:18:53 -0600
Subject:        Research inquiry re: Abraham Bradley's postal maps of the
United States
Date:   Wed, 16 Dec 2009 08:18:47 -0500
From:   Boston Rare Maps <[log in to unmask]>
To:     <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Maps-L members,

I am working on a research article on postal maps of the United States
by Abraham Bradley, First Assistant Postmaster General of the U.S. from
1800-1829.  The article is slated to appear in the Spring 2010 "Portolan."

Bradley published three such maps, all titled "Map of the United
States," in 1796, 1804, and ca 1825.  The maps are rare, little known,
and in our view should be counted among the truly great early maps of
the country.

The project includes a census of institutional holdings, with the goal
of achieving some precision about states and editions.  To that end, we
would be most appreciative of suggestions about institutions (in the
U.S. or abroad) that either are known to hold or might hold one or more
of Bradley's maps.

To identify "candidates," we have already reviewed the usual sources,
including Wheat & Brun, WorldCat and the Rumsey web site, as well as
conducting a general Google search.  In the interest of avoiding
repetition, here is a list of institutions we have already contacted:

--American Geographical Society Library

--American Philosophical Society

--Bibliotheque Nationale de France

--Boston Athenaeum

--Boston Public Library/Leventhal Map Center

--British Library

--Hagley Museum and Library

--Harvard Map Collection

--John Carter Brown Library

--Library Company of Philadelphia

--Library of Congress

--Maryland Historical Society

--Maryland State Law Library

--Massachusetts Historical Society

--National Postal Museum

--Newberry Library

--New York Public Library

--Philadelphia Free Library

--Princeton

--University of Chicago

--University of Michigan (both Clements and Hatcher)

--University of Virginia (Small Collection)

--Yale Map Collection

Many thanks for all suggestions.

Michael Buehler

Boston Rare Maps