From:
KATHERINE RANKIN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jul 1996 13:58:43 EDT
We are an Innovative Inferfaces library, and we are having trouble with
the way degree symbols display in our public catalog.  I was wondering if
any other Innovative Interfaces libraries have this problem, and, if so,
how they have solved it.

When we interface map bibliographic records directly from OCLC, the
degree symbol has the correct special character code in the Technical
Services mode, but in the public catalog the degree symbol displays as a
zer, making 120 degrees look like 1200 degrees.  If we ftp records from
OCLC to our system, the degree symbol displays as a question mark even in
the Technical Services mode.

Innovative tried updating the interfacing software, and we restarted
our terminals, but that didn't help.  Now Innovative has decided this
must be an OCLC problem because the OCLC interface is incorrectly
interpreting the Alt 2 0, so the incoming data is already coorupted, i.e.
not properly formatted for the degree symbol.  If this is the case, I
wonder why the directly-interfaced records do show the correct
information in Technical Services mode but do not display the symbol
correctly (or as a blank) in the OPAC.

I'd appreciate any help anyone can give me.
                                                    Kathy Rankin

Kathy Rankin                               Phone: (702) 895-3062
Special Formats Catalog Librarian            FAX: (702) 895-1207
University of Nevada, Las Vegas         Internet: [log in to unmask]