From:
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 1998 09:33:24 EST
2 messages.----Johnnie

>Date: Mon, 02 Feb 1998 09:14:29 -0800
>From: Martana Rybnicek <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Carto-humor?

Regarding the name "Dog Shit Park" on our Santa Barbara, CA map, I'm sorry
to say that is truly the name of the park.  The park was most probably
named by the UCSB students that inhabit that area of town.

At 01:15 PM 1/31/98 EST, you wrote:
>One of our students (clearly with too much time on his
>hands) noticed on the Sheep Mountain, ID 7.5 minute topo
>quad 1997 printing the name =93Sheepshit=94 (at approx. N 47 29
>W 115 33). Since it's not in GNIS, we suspect this a
>cartographer's little joke.  Anyone know if it's a real
>place?
>
>Phil Hoehn, Map Bibliographer
>Branner Earth Sciences Library
>Stanford University
>Stanford, CA 94305-2210
>phoehn=40sulmail.stanford.edu

>Can't say if this is a real place...but it surely isn't the only example of
>"colorful" naming. For one example, I have a MapLink map of Santa Barbara
>(Calif.) that locates "Dog Shit Park."
>

>Sincerely,
>
>Charles R. Neuschafer
>New World Maps, Inc.
>Apple Hill Road
>Bennington, VT 05201-9544
>(802 442-2846
>E-mail  [log in to unmask]
>Member International Map Trade Association
>
>P.S. For more information on the Miami Map Fair call (305) 375-1492; e-mail:

*********************************
Martana Rybnicek
Map Link, Inc.
30 South La Patera Lane, Unit #5
Santa Barbara, CA 93117
Phone:(800)962-1394, Ext. 114
or (805)692-6777
Fax:(800)627-7768, (805)692-6787
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

>Date: Mon, 02 Feb 1998 09:30:04 -0800
>From: Mark Crotteau <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Sheep's Hit

Pete might object also, since his name is spelled "Townshend."

Mark Crotteau
Washington State University
Pullman, WA   <[log in to unmask]>