From:
Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 1998 14:28:40 EST
2 messages.--------------------Johnnie

>Date: Wed, 04 Mar 1998 09:42:57 +0000
>From: [log in to unmask] (BICY GIS) (by way of Darius Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>)
>Subject: Re: Extra-terrestrial mapping

[log in to unmask] sent me the following, and then asked me to forward a
copy to MAPS-L as well....
Darius Bartlett

" The USGS plans, pending approval, to create a Web site
based on the new ArcView Internet Map Server that will allow
a wide range of users, from the planetary researcher to the
casual home user, to access planetary GIS databases.

For further information on the use of GIS in planetary
exploration, contact Trent M. Hare by E-mail at
ESRI ArcUser magazine, January-March 1998

_________________________________
>Subject: Extra-terrestrial mapping
>Author:  Darius Bartlett <[log in to unmask]> at NP--INTERNET
>Date:    3/2/98 3:20 PM

I have a student interested in possibly doing a project on developing a
GIS for a non-terrestrial body (i.e. the Moon, Mars, Venus, an asteroid,
etc.). At the moment he is trying to get a feel for what sort of approach
and problem might be feasible for tackling, and also what if any resources
could be availed of for data. On his behalf, a couple of questions:

(a)     Does anybody know a good source (on-line or otherwise) of basic
        topographic or other mapping for such astronomical bodies? We
        know there is a lot of remote sensing imagery available for a number
        of astronomical bodies such as Mars, but to be usable - especially
        for a newcomer - it would probably be easier if it could somehow be
        registered to an established coordinate system and topographic base.

(b)     Is there any particularly good literature (articles or books),
        suitable for a keen and able senior undergraduate, that presents
        case studies and/or goes into the specific problems of mapping
        non-terrestrial places (e.g. choice of coordinate system,
        availability or determination of standard datum points, etc.)?

(c)     Is there anybody out there who is working on similar problems?

Many thanks,

Darius Bartlett
Darius Bartlett                                             Darius Bartlett
Department of Geography                              Roinn na Tireolaiochta
University College Cork                      Colaste na hOllscoile Corcaigh
Cork, Ireland                                                Corcaigh, Eire

Phone: (+353) 21 902835                               Fax: (+353) 21 271980
Mobile (in Ireland): 086 8238043    Mobile (from abroad): (+353) 86 8238043
E-mail: [log in to unmask]       Web URL: http://www.ucc.ie/ucc/depts/geography/djb
This message was transmitted using 100% recycled electrons....

>Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 16:34:29 -0800
>From: Lori Sugden <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Extra-terrestrial mapping

The Ph.D. was done by Phillip Stooke, who is now at the University of
Western Ontario.

Lori Sugden, Map Curator, University of Victoria