From:
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 1996 10:16:16 EST
3 messages.------------------------------Johnnie

>From: Nick Wainman-Wood <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Origin of island called "Fris Lad" or ---
>Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 20:29:44 AST

There is a good 20 page chapter on Frisland in:
"Phantom Islands of the Atlantic"
by Donald S Johnson
Published by Goose Lane Editions, Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada.
isbn 0-86492-149-7
List price C$19.95/US$17.95 (soft cover only)
Donald Johnson is a native of Eastport Maine, an adventurous sailor, and
historian.

For library and bookstore orders:
Goose Lane Editions titles are distributed in the USA by
INBOOK, East Haven CT, (800) 243-0138, and by,
GENERAL DISTRIBUTION SERVICES INC,  Buffalo NY, (800) 805-1083
In Canada from:
GENERAL DISTRIBUTION SERVICES, Don Mills ON, Ont/Que 800-387-0141;
 Eastern & Western Canada 800-387-0172

Individuals may take the above info to their local bookstore, or may contact
the undersigned.

Happy reading,
Nick
Nick Wainman-Wood
Blue Peter Nautical Books
St Andrews NB, Canada E0G 2X0

>Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 12:30:37 -0800 (PST)
>From: David Lundquist <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Origin of island called "Fris Lad" or "Freesland" south of Iceland
         ???

This island never existed.  One book that discusses this and other such
islands is No longer on the map, by Raymond H. Ramsey.  Viking Press,
1972.  Another book that might also discuss this is Legendary Islands of
the Atlantic by William Henry Babcock.  American Geographical Society,
1922.  Research Series no. 8.

David Lundquist
Map Librarian
Shields Library
Univ. of Calif., Davis

>Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 17:51:34 -0500
>From: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: Origin of island called "Fris Lad" or "Freesland" south of
         Iceland ???

>Hello there Map People,
>
>I have a customer who has pointed out to me on two seperate historic prints
>we have, an island that doesn't (or no longer) exists. It is called  on the
>1594 Nova Francia map "Fris Lad" and on the reproduction of  " A map of the
>North Pole and the Parts adjoining" from the "The English Atlas" by Moses
>Pitt  in 1680, "Freesland."
>
>Curious, what is this mysterious island and where did it go ???
>
>Brad Green

I was given an assignment in school a few years ago to write a paper about
this very question.  It was a short paper, but I think I found the
answer...it is by no means an original answer, I simply dug through enough
books in the library to find something that sounded plausible.

Frisland was first "discovered" by the Zeno brothers in the 14th century.
According to Cumming, Skelton and Quinn in their book "The Discovery of
North America", Frisland is a doublet of Iceland.  However, I rejected this
hypothesis as too simplistic.  In the 14th century, Iceland was portrayed
as an oblong island oriented northeast to southwest, while Frisland was
depicted as being more circular in shape.  If it was in fact a doublet of
Iceland, I reasoned that it should have looked more like Iceland.
Furthermore, the Frisland was too far south to have been a doublet of
Iceland.

Another explanation is that Frisland is actually the southern tip of
Greenland.  This makes more sense, as the latitudes of each correspond more
closely.  However, it is difficult to state with any amount of certainty
that Frisland was mistaken for Greenland.

A more comprehensive and detailed account can be found in the book "The
Voyages of the Venetian Brothers, Nicolo and Antonio Zeno, to the Northern
Seas", published by the Hakluyt Society, 1873.  In the intro, it states
that Frisland is in fact the Faroe Islands.  In the writings of the Zeno
brothers, they state that Estland (Shetland) lies between Frisland and
Norway, which is the relative position of the Faroe Islands.  They also
stated that Frisland was a subject of the King of Norway, and according to
the Gragas Code, the only such islands in the area were the Faroes.
Furthermore, to the Italian ear, "Faroe Islands" becomes "Frislanda".  And
finally, in a letter written by Columbus, dated 1477, in which he outlined
a voyage to the Faroes, he also called them Frisland.

A comparison of the placenames on Frisland with placenames of the Faroes
will show a remarkable number that are similar, if not the same.

I hope that this answers your question.

P. Andrew Ray
Department of Geography
University of Western Ontario