From:
Iain Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 1995 17:06:49 EDT
Quite right!

Think of it this way, the sun is always N,E,S,W of us at 12 mn (N. Hem), 0600,
Noon (N. Hem.), 1800 local time (i.e. forgetting the averaging effect of time
zones)  It moves through 15 degrees of longitude/bearing per hour (360 degrees
in 24 hours).

It is always in this position at these times every day, but only twice a year
everywhere on the equinoxes does it rise and fall exactly (or nearly so) at the
horizon E-W.  The rest of the time the sun is at those positions above the
horizon (in summer) or below  (in winter). In the polar regions it is still in
those directions in summer (when it never crosses below the horizon) and in
winter (when it never crosses above).

You just have to think of the sun being behind or 'through' the earth relative
to you at times when you cannot see it.  But it does still have a bearing
relative to you - see the globe.

iain taylor