From:
Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 2003 15:21:16 -0500
Subject: Re:[Fwd: Map cataloguing / classification]
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 23:54:12 GMT
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]

------------------
I would strongly urge you to use classification numbers, or as a poor
alternative some kind of serial numbering.  Linking individual maps to a
specific physical location such as a particular tier, cabinet or drawer
(drawer is really horrid idea for the reason you note) will lead to
problems in the future when the collection grows, moves, or storage
equipment is upgraded or changed.  Using numbers, on the other hand, is
a permanent solution that can work regardless of who the collection or
its physical space change. You won't have to attempt to explain to
bewildered users why the catalog record's "Tier" now actually means "Map
File", or why "Drawer 50" really means either "Drawer 50A" "Drawer 50B"
or "Drawer 50C" -- or else you'll have to make a lot of otherwise
unnecessary catalog record changes.
   Phil Hoehn