From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 1 Oct 1998 12:08:55 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
>Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 12:50:34 -0700
>From: Barbara Bicking <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Third IEEE Meta-Data Conference - Call for Papers
>Sender: Barbara Bicking <[log in to unmask]>

Third IEEE Meta-Data Conference
CALL FOR PAPERS
Location: National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Dates: 6-7 April 1999
For more information: http://www.llnl.gov/liv_comp/metadata/md99/md99.html
Sponsored by:
IEEE Computer Society - Mass Storage Systems and Technology Technical
Committee National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
Raytheon STX Corporation

The goal of the IEEE Meta-Data Conference is to encourage discussion of
metadata-related issues. Papers that contribute to practical understanding,
with an emphasis on best practices, are strongly encouraged. Innovative
metadata projects or approaches that have achieved maturity are welcome.
 Papers presenting a vision that builds on the evolution of current
capabilities (e.g., advanced search capabilities; data mining; knowledge
management for the novice and the expert; role of metadata in enabling
novel and sophisticated applications exploiting digital data across
heterogeneous environments) are of great interest.  Survey papers, short
tutorial papers, and product or project experiences are also requested.
Previously published papers will not be considered.
Panel proposals should describe the topic, intended audience, and list the
likely participants. Panels should discuss topics that involve the audience
rather than being mini-paper sessions.  Proposals for poster displays
and/or demonstrations should focus on presenting novel and interesting
technical aspects of metadata research or development. Soon-to-be products
that emphasize substantial technical support for metadata are also welcome.
We are soliciting abstracts of 500 to 2000 words for potential papers and
panel proposals.  Abstracts of poster and/or demo presentations of up to
500 words of text are requested.  Only those pages of the abstract not
exceeding the word limit will be reviewed.
Topics of interest include the following:
Metadata Management:
          + modeling and representation of metadata, including
               -impact of modeling choices (oo, relational, ..) on
extensibility of metadata
               -impact of metadata on storage, retrievability and use of
data
               -metadata for logical/semantic representation of the WWW
          + data mining/knowledge extraction tools
          + metadata for mass storage and warehousing
          + metadata for semi-structured data
          + integrating multi-level metadata
          + metadata repository architecture
          + metadata for directory services (e.g., LDAP and X.500)
          + systems for managing metadata
               -recording/providing/accessing/utilizing
               -WWW-based metadata management

Application-specific issues of metadata:
          + efficient development of metadata (e.g., XML and WebDAV
(Distributed Authoring and Versioning) and the OpenGIS cataloging standard
          + earth sciences and resource management (weather/climate,
ecosystems)
          + other data-intensive application areas (health sciences,
census, film/video archives, etc.)

Emerging applications in Global Information Infrastructure, including
          + Digital library metadata issues:
               -search through multimedia documents and across
heterogeneous systems
               -metadata for multimedia and heterogeneous digital data
               -metadata for mass storage
          + metadata for managing WWW-based information resources

Standards:
          + metadata, FOIA, and EFOIA (Electronic Freedom of Information
Act)
          + bridging multiple overlapping metadata 'standards'
          + international standards efforts

Working Systems demonstrating any aspects related to metadata

Authors MUST submit electronic "contact information" for their abstracts to
be accepted. See the conference homepage for electronic submission details.
(http://www.llnl.gov/liv_comp/metadata/md99/md99.html)

For further information on submission, please contact:
Terence Critchlow
Phone: 925-423-5682
Fax: 925-423-2993

For further information on the conference, please contact:
Chris Miller
Phone: 301-713-1264
Fax: 301-713-1249

or
Ron Musick
Phone: 925-424-5015
Fax:   925-423-2993

Important Dates:
Deadline for paper abstract, poster-demo abstract, panel proposal
submission: October 15, 1998 Acceptance/rejection notification: December 8,
1998 Full hard copies of the papers (6-10 pages suggested) due:
February 5, 1999
Final cooperative review for full papers ends March 2, 1999

Proceedings will be published electronically, as were the proceedings of
the Second IEEE Metadata Conference
(http://computer.org/conferen/proceed/meta97/).            There will be
low cost hardcopy proceedings available for conference participants.

CONFERENCE COMMITTEE
Robert Coyne     IBM        - Chair
Merritt Jones    MITRE
Ben Kobler       NASA

PROGRAM COMMITTEE
Nabil Adams                     Rutgers University/ NASA
Al Aho                          Columbia University
Owen Ambur                      Fish & Wildlife Service
Anne O'Donnell Ball             NOAA
Gerald Barton                   NOAA
Barbara Bicking                 Environmental Sys.Research Institute
Terence Critchlow               Lawrence Livermore National Labs
Sara Graves                     U. of Alabama, Huntsville
Dave Johnson                    Earthware Systems, Australia
Hermann Maurer                  Technical University Graz, Austria
Chris Miller                    NOAA - chair
Matt Morgenstern                Xerox
Ron Musick                      Lawrence Livermore National Labs - vice
chair
Doug Nebert                     United States Geological Survey
Len Seligman                    MITRE
Sushma Singhal                  Raytheon STX Corporation
Kshitij Shah                    SoftPlus
Terry Smith                     U. of California, Santa Barbara
Mark Whiting                    Pacific Northwest Lab
Matthias Zingler                European Space Agency, Italy

--- End Forwarded Message ---