From:
Maps-L Moderator for Brian Bach <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 12 Mar 2009 08:15:55 -0500
Subject:        Re: Dust/Residue on Maps
Date:   Wed, 11 Mar 2009 11:02:52 -0700
From:   Brian Bach <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

My understanding is that any and all book-post packets (which would include maps) that leave India by surface mail (e.g. seamail) are required to go through fumigation, mainly so as not to export booklouse and other wood-boring pests found in the subtropics. Delhi is a dry port, so fumigation can take place there before transport of items to Bombay or Calcutta, perchance to molder in the hold of some rusty tub of a freighter for - well, months.

The Archives of India in New Delhi do fumigation for their own collection, and the gas chamber on the premises is a forbidding sight. But so many vulnerable materials have been lost to pest damage (all over the subcontinent and elsewhere) that chemical warfare is waged without too much discussion.

While book manufacturing in India certainly entails Singapore-grade quality, much of its aspects, including binding and rebinding of older volumes, is still done on a handmade basis, via small firms utilizing tools and materials that are in no way automated or even industrialized.

While I read the U. of Iowa report with interest, (many thanks, Barbara) I wonder if its findings apply only to the LC-oriented shipments, which might conform to special privileges and/or requirements of their own. The jute dust factor, as an explanation for grittiness, makes complete sense to me. Plus, having witnessed the often harsh conditions of the Indian environment  itself, which cause materials like books and maps to be vulnerable in the first place, I find it remarkable that the shipments emerge as intact as they do. Receivers of such materials in the west might keep in mind that the passages from India and region are not necessarily posh and accompanied by A/C and dinner at the captain's table. (!)

I have certainly been concerned about toxicity, but assume that the fumigation levels are based on international agreements of scientific vetting - which are not necessarily assurances of harmlessness. However, a couple times I have encountered live larvae within the pages of aged volumes, and in the long months of 'airing' said volumes out, cobwebs have accumulated, making me wonder about the efficacy of such fumigation!

(PS: I attempted to preserve the wiggling larvae in a wood chip-friendly petri dish, but the similarly-harsh Columbia Basin winter quickly did them in.)

Brian

Brian P. Bach
Documents/Maps
Brooks Library