Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2007 08:11:43 -0500
Subject:        Mercator society @NYPL April 18
Date:   Wed, 4 Apr 2007 16:53:14 -0400
From:   [log in to unmask]
To:     [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]

Folks in the NY metro area are invited to the next Mercator society meeting
at the Humanities and Social Sciences Library. The Mercator Society is the
donro group that supports the conservation and purchase of antiquarian
materials for the Map Division.

PLEASE rsvp to the phone number 212-930-0654, not to me or to maphist or
maps-l!! Many thanks.

"Ikat, Bowlers, and Llikllakuna:A tour of the Andes in 1948"

by Helen B. Shepherd and Monica Barnes, members Society of Woman
Geographers

   This presentation focuses on one amateur photographic archive, a small,
but coherent and high quality collection of Kodachrome slides taken in
1948. The photographer, Helen Cottrrell, influenced by the pan-American
movement, made a trip to South America in 1948. She followed what had
become a standard tourist route after long distance roads for wheeled
vehicles and airline routes were established. She visited Otavalo, Cuenca,
Quito, and Asoguez in Ecuador; Lima, Cusco, Pisaq, Machu Picchu, La Oroya,
Iquitos and Arequipa in Peru; La Paz in Bolivia, and also Brazil. Original
slides made during the Andean portion of her trip beautifully illustrate
the excellent preservation possible with Kodachrome, as well as its
aesthetic qualities.

   The Cottrrell photos provide points of comparison with more recent
images. Through amassing amateur as well as professionally produced
material we appreciate change in the physical and social environments. The
Cottrell slides are particularly rich in depictions of costume and
component textiles. Interspersed with slides taken by Monica Barnes on
numerous research trips to the Andes between 1976 and 1999, we highlight
the Re-photography Movement which is invaluable in assessing change.Through
this presentation we hope to help people who hold similar collections to
appreciate their historic and aesthetic value. The value of maps from the
1930s and 40s as records of social and geographical change may b e explored
this eveing via a talbe display.

   Wednesday, April 18, 2007
   6:00 Reception
   6:30 Program

   Trustees' Room (room 206)
   5th Avenue & 42nd Street
   rsvp Sarah Kimmerle @ 212-930-0654

Alice C. Hudson
Chief, The Lionel Pincus & Princess Firyal Map Division
The Humanities and Social Sciences Library
The New York Public Library
5th Avenue & 42nd Street, Room 117
New York, NY 10018-2788

[log in to unmask];  212-930-0589;   fax 212-930-0027

Hours: Open 1-7:30 Tu; 1-6 Wed-Sat.    Closed Sun, Mon.

http://nypl.org/research/chss/map/map.html