From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 29 Aug 2008 09:41:11 -0500
Subject:        Re: Digital Sanborn Maps
Date:   Fri, 29 Aug 2008 10:30:20 -0400
From:   David J. Bertuca <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

Yes, the Digital Sanborns are not cheap, but they ARE very important for
many areas of study. The reason that access cannot be granted to
non-affiliated users is the subscription contract. Our institution, for
example, pays for campus access (outside users may use the collection but
only in-person as a guest).

Many firms near us (and some far away) want to have access because they
don't want to pay the high cost of subs. They think that it is OK for us to
provide it "free" because it is "too expensive" for them to buy, yet the
major companies locally are in the businesses that really need to use
Sanborns regularly so they would be most capable of subscribing, and
passing the costs on to their clients.

If I were the Sanborn vendor I would be not too happy if subscribers gave
the data away to anyone else. It would be difficult to provide the service
if everyone had open access without paying. The costs for subscriptions
would most likely come down if there were more subsrcibers, which is
something that I would like to see, especially now, when my state has cut
spending beyond  the basics needed to run the place.

I am not trying to be critical on this; I only want to say that there is a
reason for us not being able to offer free access to everyone. My patrons
definitely need and use the product and my need is to make sure they have
it. If you do not have much need to access the collections, paying for a
library's card, or visiting one in person to use it free as a guest is a
small price to pay.

David J. Bertuca, Map Librarian
225 Capen Hall
University at Buffalo
Buffalo, NY 14260-1672

716-645-2947 x229

--On Friday, August 29, 2008 8:44 AM -0500 Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>