From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2006 08:06:24 -0500
Subject:        A digital atlas of the new towns of Edward I
Date:   Tue, 1 Aug 2006 10:03:30 +0100 (GMT Standard Time)
From:   Nick Millea <[log in to unmask]>
To:     liber list <[log in to unmask]>, lis-maps <[log in to unmask]>,
maps-l <[log in to unmask]>, maphist-l <[log in to unmask]>,
carto-soc <[log in to unmask]>

Dear All,

[Message cross-posted to Carto-soc, Liber-gdc, Lis-maps, Maphist,
Maps-L]

This new atlas may well be of interest.

With best wishes,
Nick Millea

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Dear Nick

I thought you might be interested to know that the online atlas resulting
from our research project on Edward I's new towns of England and Wales is
now available online (see below). Could you possibly forward the details via
your cartographic contacts?

Many thanks and all best wishes

Keith Lilley

Queen's University Belfast and the Archaeology Data Service are pleased to
announce the launch of 'Mapping Medieval Townscapes: a digital atlas of the
new towns of Edward I':

http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/resources.html?atlas_ahrb_2005

Funded by the AHRC and created by Keith Lilley, Chris Lloyd and Steve Trick,
the atlas uses mapping as a medium to explore how urban landscapes were
shaped in the middle ages. This atlas project has deepened understanding of
the forms and formation of medieval towns, and is the first to have combined
Geographical Information Systems (GIS) and Global Positioning Systems (GPS)
to map and analyse medieval urban landscapes. Delivered by the ADS using
innovative Web GIS technologies this project represents a significant new
resource for all scholars and students of the medieval period, as well as
those concerned with interpreting and managing historic built environments.

Dr Keith D. Lilley
Lecturer in Human Geography
School of Geography, Archaeology and Palaeoecology
Queen's University Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland
UK, BT7 1NN

00 44 (0)28 9097 3363 (Ph)
00 44 (0)28 9032 1280 (Fax)
Home page: http://www.qub.ac.uk/geog

Mapping the Medieval Urban Landscape Project
http://www.qub.ac.uk/urban_mapping

Mapping the Realm Project http://www.qub.ac.uk/urban_mapping/gough_map

 --- End Forwarded Message ---

Nick Millea
Map Librarian, Bodleian Library, Broad Street, Oxford, OX1 3BG
tel:      01865 287119
fax:     01865 277139
email: [log in to unmask]

homepage: http://www.bodley.ox.ac.uk/guides/maps/