From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 16:21:49 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 12:04:51 -0500
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: pre-twentieth century women in mapping
Sender: [log in to unmask]

Please note that the latest issue of Cartographica, vol. 37, #3, Fall 2000
[!] publishes for the first time Mary McMichael Ritzlin and my little list
of some 300 women involved in the map business prior to 1900. Mary tells me
we have another hundred not yet in the published list...so down the road
there will hopefully be an update.  As with Tooley's Dictionary, often
there is only a name, sometimes a line, sometimes a paragraph...sometimes
more.

This entire issue of Cartograhica focuses on women in cartography, so we
are hopeful you will find it an eye opener.

We are MOST HOPEFUL though, that once you have seen the list, you will keep
us informed of new names to add to the list; or that you will commit to
working up more details on the lives of some of these individual women; or
if no women are on the list from your nation, you will seek them out.
Reading the accompanying articles in Cartographica 37 will give you ideas
where to look.

Mary and I hope this list is just a beginning and an impetus to further
work by others. We hand it off to you.

Alice C. Hudson
Chief, Map Division
The Humanities and Social Sciences Library
The New York Public Library
5th Avenue & 42nd Street, Room 117
New York, NY 10018-2788

[log in to unmask]; 212-930-0589; fax 212-930-0027

http://nypl.org/research/chss/map/map.html

--- End Forwarded Message ---