From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 3 Sep 2009 08:13:40 -0500
Subject:         GIS and transportation in the year 2029: we need your input!
Date:   Thu, 3 Sep 2009 00:23:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:   MARZIO VENEMAN <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>

GIS and transportation in the year 2029: we need your input!

The Transportation Research Board Committee on Geographic Information
Science and Applications (ABJ60) is developing a strategic vision for
the next 20 years of research, development and application of GIS in
transportation.  Members, friends and anyone with an interest in the
future of GIS-T are invited to participate.

The foundations of this activity have been laid over the past 2-3 years,
in a series of focused workshops. We consulted subject matter experts in
GIS, transportation and computer science. We identified a need for
sustained and directed research in GIS-T, and—borrowing from other
successful initiatives in transportation—conceptualized a “Road Map” as
the way forward.

The next task is to build the Road Map. We invite your input in this
important process to conceptualize the future of GIS-T.

Here’s what you can do:

i) SUBMIT A RESEARCH VISION STATEMENT.  We have created a web
environment that allows people to submit research vision statements.
The web environment, as well as some background material to provide some
“food for thought”, are available at:  http://abj60.org/roadmap/

ii) COMMENT AND DISCUSS OTHER RESEARCH STATEMENTS.  Submitting a
research statement is only the beginning!  We have created a environment
that allows submitted research statements to be blogged.  Help flesh our
details, suggest alternatives, expand on the existing statements, etc.
The only rule is to be civil and professional.  http://abj60.org/roadmap/

iii) DISTRIBUTE THIS EMAIL.   Help us reach a wide range of
transportation stakeholders.  Distribute this email to individuals and
other email lists – departments of transportation, metropolitan planning
organizations, agencies, university researchers, etc.  We want a wide
range of input, as well as discussion.

The results of the Geospatial Research Roadmap for Transportation will
be disseminated and shared with the research, policy, planning and
practitioner communities through the TRB publication process, as well as
through the ABJ60 website.

Thank you in advance for your participation in this important process!