From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lori Sugden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Aug 1998 15:28:36 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 15:40:54 -0700
From: Lori Sugden <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Francois Santini,
Sender: Lori Sugden <[log in to unmask]>
To: Multiple recipients of list MAPS-L <[log in to unmask]>

Hello,

I have an e-mail reference question from Mr. Duane DePaepe,
<[log in to unmask]>, who is looking for

"information or information sources on an early 18th
>century French cartographer that produced maps of North America:
>
>                       Francois Santini
>                       Sr Janvier
>                       Geographe
>                       A VENISE

Our map collection is mainly contemporary, and the book collection has
little detailed information on historical cartographers.  I found two
references on the internet: Mapmakers of the Ryhiner Collection (University
of Bern) lists Francois Santini as a publisher in Paris.  The Map House,
London, lists under his name Les Grandes et Petites Isles Antilles,
published in Venice, 1779, which is described as an Italian reissue of
Vaugondy's Map of the West Indies.    I also referred Mr. DePaepe to the
History of Cartography homepage and Odden's Bookmarks.  If anyone has other
suggestions, could you please copy him, or reply to him directly, as he
does not subscribe to MAPS-L.  Thanks very much.

Lori Sugden, Map Curator, Map Library, University of Victoria, Victoria,
B.C., Canada
email: [log in to unmask]  phone: (250) 721-7356   fax: (250) 721-6216
--- End Forwarded Message ---