From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 16:46:47 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 12:02:49 +0000
From: Peter Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Places in Czech Republic etc (Jennie Dienes, 23 Jan 1999)

At 17:07 23/01/99 -0500, Jennie Dienes wrote:
> [...]

Hi Jennie,

I think Valovice is at approx. lat. 50 degrees 28 minutes N, long. 14 deg
45 min E,  about 12 km  WNW of Mlada Boleslav;
Brezovice is at approx.  lat. 50 deg 22 min N, long. 15 deg 40 min E,
about 2 km  ESE of Horice;
Vrbova is almost certainly Vrbova Lhota, at approx. lat. 50 deg 07 min N,
long. 15 deg 03 min E,  about  5km  SE of Podebrady;
and Vosecek is actually Osecek, at approx. lat. 50 deg 06 min N, long. 15
deg 09 min E,  about 5km  SSE of .Podebrady (don't worry about the loss of
the "V", -- it happens all the time).
Various diacritical marks are missing above as I cannot do them in such a
way that you would be sure to receive them correctly.

Cannot find Ottersdorfe or Bakovnik with the resources I have to hand but
will keep a note of them in case I can find them later.

"Walfiljewo" however is rather more interesting (and difficult -- probably
impossible to identify!).
Although it may seem improbable, I would would be prepared to bet that this
is a misreading of the German handwriting.
My guess is that a "scharfes S" [a sort of special double S, written a bit
like the Greek letter beta], has been read as "lf", so that "Wassiljewo"
has been transcribed as "Walfiljewo".  Perhaps your patron could refer to
the original letter to check this out.  Unfortunately there were dozens of
places named "Vasil'yevo"  [to use the currently preferred system of
transliteration of the Russian name] in the old Russian Empire and more
clues would be needed to pin it down.

Hope this helps!

Peter Clark

P K Clark