From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Buelow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 09:29:42 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
>Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 07:14:22
>From: John Buelow <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: cataloging question

----

I have a map which I'm cataloging as "1 map on 12 sheets : manuscript."
Because it's a couple hundred years old, bears no titling or compass roses,
shows absolutely nothing besides watercourses and survey tracts and names
very few of either, it was difficult to decide how to put it together.
Therefore I'd like to save library readers some time by providing
coordinate and orientation information for each sheet.  Something like

Sheet 1:  Covers W 73ø02'--W 73ø23'/N 41ø06'--N 40ø55'.  Long Pond lies at
the northern edge of the sheet.

There are at least three ways of doing this; I'd like reasons for
preferring one over the others.  Here are the alternatives--

(1) Describe the coordinates and orientation of all 12 sheets in a contents
note.

(3) Stuff this same information into MARC holdings fields for the
individual sheets.

(2) Leave this information out of the record, but draw a small index map,
give it an inventory number and a catalog record, and file it together with
the 12 sheets.  Cite this index map in a local note on the main
bibliographic record.

I'd like comments from those who use libraries not only from catalog
librarians.  Which would be the easier system to use?

John Buelow

--- End Forwarded Message ---