From:
Date:
Mon, 5 Aug 1996 16:59:13 EDT
One message from  Thomas Yeh.---------------------------Johnnie

>From: Daniel CannCasciato <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Position Announcement

Position Announcement

DOCUMENTS LIBRARIAN
_____________________

The Central Washington University Library seeks a librarian to help us
provide high quality service in an academic environment increasingly
reliant on electronic tools and networked information resources. There are
opportunities to promote user education in a state-of-the art electronic
classroom, provide full-text delivery to users in multiple service
locations across the state, and develop methods to share resources with
other institutions. We seek a librarian who is able to apply new
technology, is sensitive to the needs of diverse users, and deeply
committed to service, teaching and scholarship

DOCUMENTS LIBRARIAN
Lecturer or Assistant Professor, 12 month position, faculty status.
Report to the Head of Documents, Maps and Microforms Department.  Assist
in the management of a selective depository collection, a microform
collection, and a map collection. Provide documents reference service and
user instruction; engage in collection development; do original and copy
cataloging of maps and Washington State documents using OCLC cataloging
system;  oversee use of Marcive services; assist library users with CD-ROM
and Internet searching; supervise classified staff and student employees;
participate as a faculty member in University and Library committees; work
some evenings and weekends; may rotate to other departments, such as
Reference, in order to expand expertise in these areas.  The Documents,
Maps, and Microforms Department includes two librarians and three library
technicians.

QUALIFICATIONS
Minimum:
Lecturer (non-tenure track): ALA accredited MLS or equivalent; strong
public services orientation;  demonstrated organizational, communication,
supervisory and interpersonal skills; ability to work effectively in a
team setting with students, staff and faculty colleagues.

Assistant Professor (tenure-track) additional requirements: five years
professional university/college library experience or equivalent
experience at other library;  an additional advanced degree or systematic
course work may substitute for up to three years experience.

Preference will be given to candidates with university/college library
experience.

Desirable:  Experience and/or education in: Documents, Maps, and
Microforms Librarianship, OCLC online cataloging, CD-ROM database and
Internet searching, Marcive or equivalent services, bibliographic
instruction, participation in professional organizations.

Available:
Immediately.

Appointment Information:
Salary is competitive and negotiable.  Rank and tenure track status are
dependent on qualifications.  Minimum salary: Lecturer (non-tenure track)
$28,000, or Assistant Professor (tenure track) $33,973.  Lecturers will be
eligible to apply for tenure track status when faculty code requirements
for Assistant Professor rank have been met.  Comprehensive benefits
package includes 22 days vacation and TIAA- CREF.  Application review will
begin October 15, 1996 and continue until the position is filled.

Send letter of application, resume, and the names, addresses and telephone
numbers of three current professional references to:

Documents Librarian Search Committee, Daniel CannCasciato, Chair

        c/o Dean of Library and Media Services
        Central Washington University library
        400 E. 8th Avenue
        Ellensburg, WA  98926-7548

Central Washington University is an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment
Opportunity, Title IX Institution.  It has a strong commitment to
increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, and student body.  Central
Washington University operates under an approved Affirmative Action
Program and is especially interested in receiving applications from women,
minorities, Vietnam-era veterans, disabled veterans, and persons of
disability.

Central Washington University is a comprehensive state university which
serves more than 8500 students, 1000 of which are enrolled in Centers in
the Seattle/Tacoma area.  Programs are offered through the College of
Education and Professional Studies, College of Arts and Humanities,
College of the Sciences, and the School of Business and Economics.  The
main campus is located in Ellensburg, a city of 13,000 at the intersection
of Interstates 90 and 82. It is a two-hour drive from Seattle, the major
cultural center of the Pacific Northwest. Ellensburg is situated east of
the Cascade mountains in the Kittitas Valley, which is known as one of the
finest living environments in the Pacific Northwest.