From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Velma Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 15:29:39 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 07:38:13 -0500 (EST)
From: Velma Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: historical map scales <fwd>
Sender: Velma Parker <[log in to unmask]>

Hello
I know of three works, two of which I know are out of print but may be in
your library or available on interlibrary loan.
1.  For good measure / William D. Johnstone.  New York : Holt, Rinehart
and Winston, c1975.  ISBN 0-03-013946-5

2.  Archaeological metrology : English, French, American and Canadian
systems of weights and measures for North American historical archaelogy /
Lester A. Ross.  [Ottawa, Ont.] : Parks Canada, 1983.  (This is out of
print but you might get photocopies of the relevant pages from some library.)

3.  Dictionnaire universel des poids et mesures anciens et modernes ... /
par Horace Doursther.  Amsterdam : Meridian Publishing, 1965.  (This is a
reprint of the original 1840 edition and is a great source.  It is out of
print but if you can get it on loan to copy the relevant sections it would
be worth it.)

Hopefully others will have more up-to-date works but I thought that you
might like to know about these as well.

Good luck
Velma Parker
National Archives of Canada

--
Velma Parker
National Archives of Canada
[log in to unmask]   Internet: [log in to unmask]
(613)996-7611  Fax: (613)995-6575
--- End Forwarded Message ---