From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 1999 15:43:10 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 12:42:17 MST7MDT
From: Ken Rockwell <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: More geotrivia (fwd)

> >Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 11:51:46 -0500
> >From: Iain Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
> >To: Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>
> >Subject: More geotrivia
> >
> >The 'Queen Cities' list reminds me of a listing my wife and I started some
> time
> >back of 'World/ National capitals'.  I'm sure you've seen them along the
> >highway.
> >
> >World capital of lobsters (Shediac, NB)
> >World's largest apple...
> >Canada's capital of lilacs...
> >The World's smallest...
> >The home of the US biggest...

<snip>
> >Care to contribute?

Sure, why not?   From my home state of California:
GILROY:  Garlic Capital of the World;  and
CASTROVILLE: Artichoke Capital of the World

That state's loaded with agricultural capitals, though I'm sure some
of the places closer to the native homes of the foods in question
would disagree!  Would Napa Valley care to take on the whole of
France for Wine Capital of the World?  Would Reedley like to go up
against Greece?

Oh, and I'm writing from Salt Lake City, obviously the Mormon
Capital of the World, though the folks down in Provo might disagree!
After all, Salt Lake is something like "only" 60%  Mormon, housing
scads of "Gentiles" like me, and even has a mayor from the United
Church of Christ!  "Fallen, fallen is Babylon..."  ---KR

Ken Rockwell
"Just another map librarian" at
Marriott Library
University of Utah