From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Maps, Air Photo & GIS Forum
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 2009 15:34:15 -0600
Subject:        Sri Lanka resettlement maps needed
Date:   Mon, 30 Nov 2009 16:23:29 -0500
From:   Weessies, Kathleen <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & GIS Forum <[log in to unmask]>

I am working with a doctoral student who is studying a resettlement project in Sri Lanka.  She is very happy with my 1950's 1:63,360 topos and with the National Atlas of Sri Lanka, but hopes to find more maps and especially more detailed maps of the project areas.  Worldcat has not revealed much for me, I wonder if anyone out there in mapland has an uncataloged something that could be loaned or scanned.

The area centers around Maduru Oya National park, which spreads across the northern tips of Central, Uva, and Eastern Provinces.  Roughly 7 degrees 20 minutes North latitude, and 81 degrees East Longitude.  The resettlement project is called the Accelerated Mahaweli Development Project and is also referred to various contractions of that name.  This World Bank and multilateral- sponsored project dates from the late 1977 to the present, with the resettlement of the idigineous Wanniyala-Aetto occurring around 1983.  She especially would like to find detailed maps of the Wanniyala-Aetto a.k.a. Veddah settlements prior to their relocation.
This is an extremely specific map need, I know.  Scholars working on the planning of the project may have gifted maps to a library or detailed maps map have arrived through a depository program.

Kathleen Weessies
Geosciences Librarian
Head, Map Library
100 Library W308