From:
Peter Blanchard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Feb 1995 16:22:24 EST
It seems a word of clarification might be in order regarding my previous
request for examples of "opinionated maps".  I've spent much of the past
12-18 months researching the topic of bias in mapping as it has been
expressed over the course of history from ancient China through the Second
World War.  In doing so I've come up with a rather lengthy review of the
literature on the subject.  In making my request of the subscribers to the
map-l list I'm hoping to find examples which might fill in the more recent
history of intentional mapping bias.  I find these examples often come from
informational brochures, fund-raising mail, public relations pieces and so
on.  These are maps which would catch the eye of people with an interest in
cartography but which probably have not yet found their way into the
academic literature on the subject.  My apologies for not being more
definitive in describing my previous research, and my thanks to those who
have so kindly replied.

Thank-you,

Peter Blanchard  6814 Chelsea St.  Madison, WI 53719