From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 2 Jun 2009 13:35:02 -0500
Subject:        Re: May Gift List from UW
Date:   Tue, 2 Jun 2009 12:12:37 -0600 (MDT)
From:   Laurence S. Creider <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

At risk of sounding like a shil, a free alternative is to download the
Microsoft FileFormat Converters
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=941b3470-3ae9-4aee-8f43-c6bb74cd1466&displaylang=en

This will enable you to download and save the new docx and xlsx files to
your XP and Windows 2003 systems.  I lost some files before our systems
librarian found this because I would open a file created in the one system
on a computer using the other. (office Windows, home Windows XP)

I still find it unbelievably stupid that Microsoft created a new file
format without making it compatible with the old.  docx and xlsx are a
pain, but they are what my work computer normally creates.

--
Laurence S. Creider
Special Collections Librarian