Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 1996 14:55:33 EST
This message was sent in by Larry Cruse.---------------------------Johnnie

>Date: Tue, 13 Feb 1996 09:21:52 EST5EDT
>From: Anne Orange <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Multiple recipients of list SCLIBN-L
>Subject: Unit Head:Gov/Pubs/Maps, UC Santa Cruz

>**********

>Hi folks,

>We have a great position opening here for a Unit Head:Gov.Pubs/Maps.

>I would appreciate any effort on your part to make sure this position is
>brought to the attention of possibly interested librarians.

>Please feel free to contact me directly with any additional questions you
>may have or with any information that would help in our outreach.

>Thanks,

>Kate McGirr- AUL-Human Resources, UC, Santa Cruz

Title:  Unit Head:Government Publications/Maps
Rank: Assistant/Associate Librarian
Appointment Salary Range: $32,544-$39,648 commensurate with experience
and qualifications
Position Available: July 1, 1996

The University Library, Government Publications/Maps Unit offers a
challenging team approach to reference and research services related to a
substantial federal (51%) and state depository documents collection as
well as a selective world-wide and comprehensive regional cartographic
collection.  The unit is located in two separate areas of the McHenry
humanities and social sciences library, and is staffed by a group of
highly motivated paraprofessionals.  The unit head is responsible for the
management of the two collections, supervising work-flow in both areas,
maintaining a high public service orientation, and contributing
leadership in an expanding electronic environment.  This position calls
for an innovative vision of Government Publications/Maps librarianship in
an area of the library that serves a diverse population of faculty,
staff, students and members of the local community.

Reporting to the Head of Reference Services, the Head of the Government
Publications/Maps Unit administers reference services, collection
development, and coordinates technical processing functions of the unit.
Participates in providing in-depth reference service related to a
sizeable federal and state depository documents collection, law, and
cartographic materials.  Incumbent offers bibliographic instruction to
faculty, staff and students; plans and administers electronic support
required to utilize government data and cartographic materials in machine
readable formats including Geographic Information Systems (GIS),
coordinating with other units as necessary.  Appointee participates in
library-wide activities, including administrative committees and
represents UCSC at the local, state and national levels for all duties of
the position.

Qualifications:
        Required: Graduate degree from an ALA-accredited school; a
minimum of 3 years of progressively responsible professional experience
including supervision of staff; demonstrated commitment to
client-centered services in a  culturally diverse environment;
demonstrated written and oral communication skills; hands-on experience
with documents depository collection procedures;  library instruction and
general reference experience; experience with a networked environment and
microcomputer applications relevant to a documents and/or maps
collection; demonstrated ability to work effectively with all levels of
staff and patrons in a technologically intensive environment.

        Preferred:  Familiarity with  state and federal depository
collection procedures; knowledge of maps and cartographic information in
digital form; hands-on experience with Geographic Information Systems
(GIS); ability to maintain and preserve collections of aerial photos,
maps, rare cartographic materials, and books by using acceptable
preservation techniques; ability to work with local government agencies
and libraries in the acquisition of local documents, maps and
cartographic data; familiarity with  state and federal depository
collection procedures; working knowledge of reference tools in law.

The Campus and the Library:  One of the nine campuses of the University
of California, UC Santa Cruz is located in a redwood-forest overlooking
the ocean, 75 miles from San Francisco, 25 miles from San Jose at the
north end of the agriculture and marine rich Monterey Bay area.
Approximately 10,000 students, including 900 graduate students are
enrolled. The library has a full-time equivalent staff of 140, of whom 30
are librarians.

Librarians at the University of California are academic appointees.  They
are entitled to two days per month vacation and one day per month sick
leave.  The University has an excellent social security/university
retirement plan, as well as a variety of optional health/dental and life
insurance plans.  Appointees are subject to periodic peer review for
career status, merit increase, and promotion, at which time they are
judged on the basis of professional competence and quality of service
within the library and to the extent that they are relevant, on
professional activity outside the library, University and public service,
and other creative activity.  This position is represented by the
University  Federation of Librarians, AFT.

To Apply:  Applicants should supply a complete statement of their
qualifications, a resume of their education and experience, as well as
the names, addresses, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses of three
referees.

All letters and documents should be addressed to:
Kate McGirr, AUL- Human Resources   Please refer to position: # T95-34
University Library
University of California
Santa Cruz, CA   95064  Phone #: 408.459.2076   fax: 408.459.8206
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

Closing Date: The deadline for application is March 29, 1996
                UCSC is an EEOC/IRCA/AA employer
                WOMEN AND MINORITIES ENCOURAGED TO APPLY