From:
DEBBIE LORDS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 1994 12:31:31 EST
Hi Dave (et al.),
     I was waiting this statement to come.  Each of us reads things and,
based on our backgrounds, access to people with greater knowledge, etc., come
to understandings (be they correct or incorrect).  If all of us waited to say
anything until we reached the level of abject expert, this list would likely
be very quiet.  This list is a place where we can have discussion on things
about which we have read and respond to statements based on that which we
think.  Through the responses of others more knowledgable than ourselves we
undertake that most horrid of experiences -- education.
     I ascribe to the philosophy promulgated by many but practiced by few --
there is no such thing as a dumb question.  I also suggest that questions may
sometimes be disguised as statements.  The response to my statements has been
most interesting and enlightening.  I appreciate what I have learned from
those much more knowledgable than myself.
     But my lack of understanding is not unusual in our group.  When one asks
"what is the real difference between ..." on a computer question, the answers
that come tend to border on deep levels of computer hardware and software
design.  But clarification of misunderstandings of higher level ideas don't
occur.
     This is a place to share ideas, views, problems, concerns, and
questions.  And many times it does feel like the blind leading the blind.
But slowly, surely, we approach the light.  We rely on the higher level
experts to enlighten us.  I am largely unafraid to ask questions and to look
"dumb" to others.  And, as David Cobb pointed out, how are we to know that
someone really knows what they are talking about.
     One person talked to the folks on her campus who build computers.  I
would think they know what they are talking about.  But someone else
challenged what was posted about their response.  This is a chance for the
experts to help guide the non-experts.  Rather than belittling
misunderstanding, how about enlightening.  In some ways, this is not the
place, but so many of us are now dealing with having to learn this and learn
it quickly that we don't have time to get a full blown picture.
     When someone posts a comment or question about computers, software or
hardware, I always look forward to Dave's comments.  I learn.  And maybe I
irritate.  That's life.

Debbie Lords
Cataloging Division/Systems Division
Marriott Library
University of Utah

******   START OF FORWARDED MESSAGE   ******

Both statements are somewhere between seriously misleading and totally wrong.
If you need computer help, PLEASE try to get it from someone who knows what
they are talking about.  I don't give map advice, please don't y'all go
fouling each other up with erroneous "information".   Dave

Dave Gomberg, role model for those who don't ask much in their fantasy lives.
GOMBERG@UCSFVM           Internet node UCSFVM.UCSF.EDU     fax->
(415)731-7797
For info on West Coast Live send email to [log in to unmask]

******   END OF FORWARDED MESSAGE   ******