From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 2009 08:11:50 -0600
Subject:        RE: 19th century London vector data?
Date:   Thu, 22 Jan 2009 11:32:25 -0000
From:   Francis Herbert <[log in to unmask]>
To:     <[log in to unmask]>

As a Londoner (and amateur/collector of the cheaper end of London maps
of the 19th & 20th centuries) I could sugegst two avenues to explore:-

1) The web images page of the history of cartography gateway site
maintained by ex-BL Map Librarian, Mr Tony Campbell:
http://www.maphistory.info/imagebi.html#eng [under subheading 'England -
London'].

2) Guildhall Library [Corporation of London]'s Prints and Maps Section,
currently in process of removing to The Metropolitan Archives (staff are
answering enquiries still - I checked this morning - from its Guildhall
base), e-mail: prints&[log in to unmask] [or obvious url for main
web-site]; and, for already-scanned images (incuding maps), on separate
url 'Collage': http://collage.cityoflondon.gov.uk

3) MOTCO (for scanned images produced as commercial CD-ROMs): find in
'Google', or whatever, that started by issuing Stanford's map of London
at 6 inches to 1 mile (1:10 560) of 1862 and has since increased the
range of available maps (and added searchable street index features).

Obviously, even once the best map 'fit for purpose' has been identified
by your patron, you may need to negociate free usage for his/her
students. I forgo providing here bibliographic references to hard copy
reference works, e.g the two carto-bibliographies of maps of London from
ca 1553 to 1850 and 1851 to 1900+ (with addenda for former volume)
compiled by the two former Keepers of Prints and Maps at The Guildhall
Library, Messrs Raymond Howgego and Ralph Hyde respectively (and
updated/annotated copies of these two essential reference works (Hyde,
especially, includes subjects in his index) are kept at (as one might
expect) Guildhall Library, at BL Map Library, at Royal Geographical
Society (with IBG), and with my (personal, private) self.

Francis Herbert (former Curator of Maps, RGS-IBG)