From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jul 2005 07:53:43 -0500
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Subject: RE: MAPS-L: For or against dust covers?
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 15:06:22 +1000
From: Maura O'Connor <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Rather than dust covers, which would quite frankly drive us mad, we
store our maps in acid free folders in each drawer, which open at the
front.  The lip on the back of the drawer provides a "tuck-in" for the
folders so they don't go flying over and down behind.  Fragile maps are
also pocketed in mylar and stored then within the jackets.  The jacket
surface also allows us to provide a brief statement as to what is held
within eg : Australia 1:250 000 topographic series and the list of the
sheet numbers and names within.

Our rare maps are not stored in the jackets although each are housed in
a pocket.  The pockets are tucked under the metal lip at the back of
each drawer and a stiff acid free board placed at the top of the pile
within.  Occasionally something does go over the back - if the top board
is missing.  Drawere resistance to closure alerts us to that problem.

Maura O'Connor
Map Curator
National Library of Australia
Canberra  ACT  2600