From:
"A. Cope" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2006 09:16:25 -0500
Subject:        Re: MAPS-L: IFLA World guide to library, archive and
information science assns, 2005
Date:   Thu, 21 Sep 2006 09:35:33 -0400
From:   David McQuillan <[log in to unmask]>
To:     <[log in to unmask]>

Alice * I did not know that there even was a new directory!  We were never contacted, as far as I know.  When we did our directory in 2000, many large US collections were not included because the editor could not get them to reply.  If you don't have the information and you face a printing deadline, you have to go with what you have.   I know that Olivier worked tirelessly to collect information on map collections world-wide for four or five years before the publication.  This is why I think we need a world-wide online directory that we can keep up to date and not worry about the little bit of money we might make keeping our individual print editions.

   IFLA is the common element for most library institutions and associations.  We have the framework in place, we just need to have the support from our members, and in fact we need five new member libraries or associations to join.  IFLA is looking at its structure and has set a benchmark of 50 member institutions or associations for each section.  We have some time to add to our base of 45, but want those who are not members to seriously consider joining the Geography and Map Libraries Section.

   We can not do this by ourselves.  The G&M Section will only be as strong as the support its members give.  We meet in Durban, South Africa, August 19 - 23, 2007; Quebec City, August 10 - 15, 2008; and Milan, Italy, August  2009.  So arrange your calendars now and contact me about how you can help.

   We do not need to reinvent the wheel.  We already have one place to do our directories and digital archiving.  ALA and SLA are now accepting applications for the next round of elections to sections, due by February 2007.  The same is true for institutions such as the Library of Congress and New York Public Library.  Institutions and associations who are not members, can join and have their people nominated to the G&M Standing Committee.

   We have strong map library associations in the US, Europe, and Australia.  Is it not time to share our knowledge with our friends who need our help? Maybe we might learn something ourselves?

David C. McQuillan
Secretary/Treasurer
IFLA Geography and Map Libraries Section

David C. McQuillan
Map Cataloger
Thomas Cooper Library
University of South Carolina