From:
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2012 08:47:33 -0600
Subject: Re: Old Maps Online Portal
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 09:29:44 -0500 (EST)
From: Paige G Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
To: Air Photo Maps, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

All,

Thanks for bringing this up Angie -- myself, Marcy, and probably about
40-50 other people in attendance at the "Working Digitally with
Historical Maps" program held at NYPL on Saturday, Feb. 25th got to see
this go "live" and its fantastic! This is a really useful tool not only
for discovering collections of historical maps (hence their call for
participitation) but pushes forward the boundaries of location-based
searching using a map interface (as opposed to current text-based
searching).

As I understand it, Old Maps Online, created and run by several
institutions, is looking *only* for institution-based collections to
join in the fun right now, in a few months they will announce the
availability of working with individuals and adding their collections,
large or small.

If you go to their website there is relavant information about who is
behind this initiative and what they are doing with this brand new map
portal.

Paige