From:
HelenJane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Dec 1997 11:52:49 EST
This message is in reply to Nancy's  inquiry regarding cataloging NHAP
Photography.

The photograph as you described it would be from the National High Altitude
Program. The HAP photography was flown between 1980 and 1987, so your
photograph of 3-16-85 would fit this time period.  The NAPP was in two
groups from 1987-1990 and 1990-to present.  In addition to your infor-
mation you should include the N with the HAP and give the full name.  The
photography is available from both USGS and USDA ASCS Aerial Photography
Field Office (This is form of name in 1985).  You can get with EROS
Data Center to confirm whether this is NASA or USGS photography if
you are questioning it for your 110 field.

You have one of the enlargements which should also be noted.  The standard
size for a postive paper Color Infrared Photography is 10"x10" at 1:60,000.
If you have the 20"x20" then it is at the scale of either 1"=2500" or
1"=1250 if it is a 4 piece sectional.  Since you did not mention there
was an A,B,C, or D following the number, I have assumed you do not have
Quadrant Sectional.  If your photography includes all information and is
split into two parts, that it should be at the scale of 1"=2500.  You
should check to make sure your photo is not a 17"x17" which would make
the scale 1"=3000".  These sizes and scales are taken from a standard
form produced by the ASCS( now Natural Resource Survey).

The 225-175 is your Roll No. and Exposure number is the flight line and
if you have a single photograph it would be useful to indicate what the
significance of the number is.  In our library we have so many aerial
photographs that flight line # 225-175 implies row and exposure.  The
407416 should be your county code but it has me puzzled since I am
used to working only with 5 digit codes.  You could check that out with
your state NRS office if you are not sure.  Since we catalog all of our
aerial photography by counties we would use it to help create the name
for the photo, i.e. Gainesville, Alachua Co. Florida.  We would class
by county also but that is a separate issue.

By the way, you can purchase a line index for the NHAP photography if
you want to provide reference as to which photographs would surround the
one you have.

You will probally want to include a 500 note which states that these are
rectified photographs-this is stated in the projects mission.
We have found that Township/Range/Section is an important 500 note for
our large collection whether it is useful for a single photograph is
debatable.  We use the standardized lat/long for counties which we do
find useful.  You might want to include the lat. and long for Jersey City.