From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Sep 2005 13:53:08 -0500
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Subject: Re: MAPS-L: General Material Descriptor (GMD)
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005
From: Colleen Cahill <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

I have done a bit of research and have only a partial answer.  As you
note, GMD's are optional in AACR2 and the LC Rule Interpretations give a
very specific list of what gets a GMD.  Cartographic materials are not on
that list.  So by these rules, LC does not put GMDs in cartographic
materials.

Now for the sticky part: why we don't do this.  At this point, I am afraid
I don't know the history and am tracking that down.  If I can find a clear
answer, I will share it with you.

What I can say is LC does not expect anyone else to follow their policy on
this decision: no GMD for cartographic materials is in the LCRI's and not
required of anyone else.

Colleen
  Colleen R. Cahill                   |  [log in to unmask]
  Digital Production Coordinator      |  (202)707-8540
   & Recommending Officer for         |  FAX (202)707-8531
        Science Fiction & Fantasy     |  Library of Congress
These opinions are mine, Mine, Mine! |  Washington, DC 20540-4652