From:
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2012 08:32:45 -0500
Subject:        Google Earth indexes to the geology maps at the Colorado
School of Mines Library
Date:   Fri, 22 Jun 2012 19:48:49 +0000
From:   Christopher Thiry <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>, WAML

All,
First of 3 big releases from me today.
Using Arc, I was able to create indexes to the geology maps of Colorado
that we have in our library. There are also links to online versions of
the maps, when available.
I have attempted to make the indexes as straight-forward and easy to use
as possible.
I welcome and would appreciate feedback--please see the questions I have
for users at the bottom of this email.
Here's the link to the indexes:
http://library.mines.edu/LBGuide_Maps_Geology_Colorado_Indexes
Here's more information:
Google Earth indexes to the geology maps at the Colorado School of Mines
Arthur Lakes Library
These files can ONLY be used in Google Earth. You must have Google Earth
installed on your computer in order to use the indexes.
These Google Earth (kmz) files will allow you to explore the resources
of the Map Room at the Colorado School of Mines Library.Primarily, these
are indexes to the paper maps held within the library.This is NOT an
index to digital datasets, however there are, when available, links to
the online version of the maps.
There are 6 basic layers of the index:
·Colorado (outline)
·Colorado 1:24,000 geology maps
·Colorado 1:62,500 geology maps
·Colorado 1:100,000 geology maps
·Colorado 1:125,000 geology maps
·Colorado 1:250,000 geology maps
These indexes show the footprints of all the geology maps of
Colorado.These footprints cover the exact same areas and use the exact
same names as the topographic maps produced by the U.S. Geological Survey.
In order to use these indexes most effectively, turn on only 1 layer at
a time.
By clicking on the footprint (boxes), a pop-up bubble will appear.
Within each bubble will be 1) *_subject and date_*of map 2) link to the
map’s full record within the *_Library’s catalog_*and 3) link (if
available) to an *_online version_*of the map.
When you click on one of the links in the pop-up box, a new screen will
slide in from the right.To exit the new screen, click on “RETURN TO
GOOGLE EARTH” button in the upper left.Sometimes Google Earth will have
a difficult time opening a link (particularly if the link is a pdf).If
Google Earth is struggling, click on “OPEN IN INTERNET EXPLORER” button
in the upper right corner.This will open the link in Internet explorer.
One aspect of Google Earth to take advantage of:
·Use the “Search” bar to find places including cities, mountains, and
rivers.
*_COMING SOON_*: indexes to all the geologic maps that do NOT cover the
same areas as the USGSmaps.
*_QUESTIONS FOR YOU:_*
How useful is this as a tool for finding geologic mapping information?
How can the color scheme be improved?
Do the popup boxes contain the information you need?If not, what should
be eliminated?Added?
What other aspects would like to see in this index?
Thanks in advance,

Christopher J.J.Thiry
Map Librarian
Colorado School of Mines