From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 17:20:08 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 18:29:33 -0400
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: cataloguing question <fwd>
Sender: [log in to unmask]

The call number G3730 that you picked for your 1815 map of Maine is the
number for general maps of Maine.  So all you'd need after the date is the
author cutter for Moses Greenleaf. You could keep this call number and make
added subject headings to bring out the features you list.  For instance,
you could use the headings "Maine--Roads--Maps" and "Maine--Adminsitrative
and political divisions--Maps" in addition to the more general
"Maine--Maps."  If you wanted to base the call number on one of the more
specfic headings, then the class number would start with G3731, meaning maps
of Maine with a specific subject focus. If you choose roads as the first
subject heading, your call number would be G3731.P2 1815 and author cutter.
If the administrative and political divisions headings is your first
subject, the number would be G3731.F7 1815 and the author cutter.

Brian Falato
Serials/Maps Cataloger
University of South Florida
Tampa Campus Library