From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Frances Woodward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 16:41:04 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 10:00:27 -0800 (PST)
From: Frances Woodward <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Digital photography of atlas pages
Sender: Frances Woodward <[log in to unmask]>

Hi, David,

We have always had requests for copies of maps from old atlases be
photographed. Sometime  the photography can't be done on campus, which
meant we had to take the book or map to a commercial photographer. In thos
cases we had to charge the patron for our time. We have never had any
objections.  Most of the atlases are just too big, heavy, and fragile to
be put upside down on a photocopier. The scanners we have are too small
(i.e. legal size).

I haven't seen a hand-held scanner in operation, but I have heard that it
passes across the surface of the paper and can cause damage.

We are looking into possibilities of getting a digital camera. We have
been getting mixed messages about their use and usefulness. Any comments
about digital cameras would be most welcome.

Cheers,
        Fran

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002 [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Hi Folks
>
> I'm looking for some advice or expertise regarding dealing with requests for
> prints from pages of rare and oversize atlases.     Usually these are for
> working copies - photocopies  or scans  as opposed to publication quality
> reproductions.
>
> Needless to say, many of our atlases can not be subjected to the trauma of
> inversion on a photocopy machine and the intense light.
>
> Also, we have neither adequate staff nor facilities to do, or arrange for,
> high quality reproduction for these requests.   Thus we are looking for a
> process which would allow us to produce an image or file that we could give
> (at reasonable cost) to the client with out it requiring much staff time on
> our part.
>
> I am interested in how other map collections handle similar requests.   I am
> considering the potential of digital photography - 5 megapixel cameras are
> reasonably priced (or at least with the range of possibility ) .
>

> Has anyone any experience of suggestions they could share with me.
>

> David
>

> David L. Jones, Map Librarian
> William C. Wonders Map Collection
> Science & Technology Library
> 1-26 Cameron Library
> University of Alberta
> Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2J8
> voice  (780)492-3433     fax   (780)492-2721
> e-mail   [log in to unmask]

Frances Woodward, Reference Librarian,
Special Collections, Main Library,
University of British Columbia, 1956 Main Mall, Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1Z1
        Tel: (604) 822-2819             Fax: (604) 822-9587
        E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Historical Maps Collection and Cartographic Archives
Arkley Collection of Children's Literature
--- End Forwarded Message ---