From:
Maureen Farrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Mar 1994 16:22:48 EST
Anyone on Maps-L that has had experience storing Sanborn fire insurance
maps unbound in drawers, I would apprecicate comments.

Recent legislation and new ASTM standards have put increased demand on
our collection. Some years ago we microfilmed all our copies of volumes
for the Cleveland area and purchased commercial microfilm for other
editions. Patrons still need to consult the originals for accurate
measurements and for original colors. Some of our copies are still
bound others are loose sheets shelved in box portfolios.

We are currently planning for a new facility and are debating storage
in locked map cases v.s. restricted access roller shelving.
The weight & thickness of the Sanborn plates make encapsulation &
post-binding a less reasonable option although we have systematically
been treating our Hopkins plat maps in this manner and it has worked well.

Any comments about either method of storage would be appreciated.

Maureen Farrell
Map Librarian,
Cleveland Public Library