From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 13:16:16 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 09:57:30 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
From: Mark Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: USGS-Forest Service Single Edition Maps <fwd>
Sender: Mark Thomas <[log in to unmask]>

> Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 11:47:11 +0000 (/etc/localtime)
> From: Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: USGS-Forest Service Single Edition Maps <fwd>

> These are described as being "single editions" whatever that means.  Each
> is in a series with no single-ness about it!  They involve the same base
> maps as the regular USGS 7.5-min quadrangles, which are in state series.
> Is each forest to be considered the coverage of a separate series?

What they mean by  "single edition" is that there won't be a USGS
edition and a separate Forest Service edition of each quadrangle.
Just one map for each quad, so they don't duplicate their effort.

> We file them with the other quadrangles for the state.  If I use the
> records for each forest, it will not be possible to indicate that they are
> filed with other quadrangles for the state, rather than in a separate file
> for national forests.  I have such a file, and it needs work, but not THIS
> work!

I'm not a cataloger.
>From an intuitive standpoint, I would think these can be handled like
all of the USGS topo quads that list a cooperating agency in the
center of the top margin.  Tennessee Valley Authority. State of North
Carolina. Forest Service.  Etc.  I *think* that libraries universally
interfile these with the USGS topos.  These are the only editions for
this geographical area, so if you didn't interfile them you'd have
gaps in your collection of USGS topos.  If you use the SuDoc as sort
of a surrogate for the corporate author, these "single editions" are
considered to have a USGS (I 19) SuDoc (even though few file them this
way) and arrive if you select the USGS quad Item Number for a state,
as opposed to the old Forest Service editions, which had an A 13
SuDoc and required you to select a different Item Number.

You suggest that there exist records for these new "single editions"
by forest? I would have thought that no one would want to catalog
them that way (unless you have a specialized collection dealing with
forests, or something like that).

Mark Thomas / Public Documents & Maps / Perkins Library
   Duke University / Durham, NC  27708-0177
      [log in to unmask] / voice: 919-660-5853 / FAX: 919-684-2855
The train ...
        traditional, yet environmentally sound.  --Lisa Simpson
--- End Forwarded Message ---