From:
Date:
Fri, 4 Nov 2011 07:53:12 -0500
Subject: Online map indexes
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 06:06:30 -0400
From: KC Kowal <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
CC: KC Kowal <[log in to unmask]>

Following Ed's query yesterday about online map indexes, I should add that,
eastwards of DC, we recently posted nearly 1000 indices, primarily for GSGS
map series (Geographical Section, General Staff).

The scanned indexes are attached to the set's catalog record, and can be
searched via the Integrated Catalog http://catalogue.bl.uk/ or by our new
search interface, Explore the British Library http://explore.bl.uk/, which
will replace the former entirely after January 2012.

To see all the sets that have a scanned image of the index attached in the
Integrated Catalog http://catalogue.bl.uk/, search for "Index to series
attached" as a phrase. (This is because, in the 555 for finding aids the
following text was used "Index to series attached in electronic form.
Please use to identify required sheet.")

This can be added to UC-Berkeley and NLA's fine collections of map indexes
online!

Kimberly C. Kowal
Lead Curator, Digital Mapping
The British Library