From:
DEBBIE LORDS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1993 14:17:40 EST
>I hope someone will tell me if I'm wrong, but the only thing I can think of
>that would lessen the burden would be if digital mapping companies made
>their software easier for users to manipulate. If GeoSight FactFinder or
>ArcView were as easy to maneuver through as your average online catalog
>there wouldn't be a problem at all.

>Chris Winters
>University of Chicago Library

Chris,
     It would be wonderful if we could increase our staffs just because we
have a legitimate increase in the personal attention needed by patrons.  But
such is not reality.  Certainly both Map and Document librarians who are
offering access through these companies might consider forming user groups
(even though there are already a plethora of these for other
software/hardware consideration of librarians).  These groups can have a
positive impact on advances in the software.  User groups always have more
clout than individual users.
     However, this is NOT the only solution.  Another solution is to write
(or have written) computer programs which would take the user through the
basics of creating a view or a database, or whatever.  The best method is a
series of interactive programs which allows the user to choose what they want
to learn.  When a patron has a "basic" question which takes about 20 to 30
minutes of librarian time to answer, one solution is to fire up the program
and let the patron learn.  This allows them to learn at their own pace.
     As databases get more complex, librarians are going to need to learn
some basic kinds of programming in languages such as C or Prolog in order to
search them.  May as well practice by doing a few user interfaces and
tutorials!

Debbie Lords