From:
Darius Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 1994 09:56:12 EST

>         Has anyone investigated the sources used by Thomas Jefferys in
> compiling his "Map of the Most Inhabited Part of New England...."?
 [....stuff deleted...]
>  If the sources used for the Jefferys map have not been
> identified, is there any place in Britain where I might be able to track them
> down other than the British Library and the Public Record Office?

You could try the Bodleian Library in Oxford (Map Curator is Nick Millea,
e-mail to [log in to unmask]); the National Library of Scotland (Diana
Webster, [log in to unmask]); and here in Ireland, the map library at
Trinity College, Dublin (Paul Fergusson, [log in to unmask]).

There is now a Listserv set up principally for the UK and Ireland map
library community. I am not a member myself, but gather that information
about this may be obtained from Philip Guest ([log in to unmask]). I
don't know any more than this - there was a short piece about it in the
latest issue of Cartographiti, the newsletter of the Map Curators' Group
of the British cartographic Society, along with a much longer list of
e-mail addresses for map curators in Britain, Ireland, etc. I know that
at least some of those listed therein are also on MAPS-L so maybe they can
expand a bit on this? (Now that has put  you all in the spotlight, hasn't
it... bet you thought you would get away with a quiet life, too... :-)

Darius Bartlett