From:
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 2013 12:50:23 -0500
Subject: RE: Map Inventory
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2013 17:41:11 +0000
From: Weessies, Kathleen <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>

For the USGS topographic maps we used the brown booklets that index each
of the states.  Student employees wrote in the years we had for each
quadrangle.  I confess that I used a sampling method to count the sheets
--- I counted the number of sheets we owned in a typical column in each
of the brown booklets, then multiplied that by the number of columns in
that booklet.  Our topo sets have a bib record for each scale for each
state -- we don't have sheet level records.

I also had the student employees go through the drawers and count all
the sheets in the non-topo drawers, then write the quantity on the
outside of each paper folder (most of our maps are gathered into paper
folders).  Then we added those numbers up.  The total count ended up
several thousand off our working number.  We've always counted new
acquisitions each year and added it to the prior number, but I don't
know the origin of the number we were using when I started my job.
Don't forget to include folded maps stored separately, supplementary
maps, and unprocessed maps.

The only collection that we've inventoried piece by piece was the folded
maps that came over to the main library when the geology library folded.
  There was a database of all items, but enough discrepancies were found
that we conducted a piece-level inventory.  In the nearish future I plan
to do a piece-by-piece inventory of the rare/valuable collection.  That
will be a lot easier once they are all cataloged.  I'll run a list of
everything the catalog believes is located in our locked collection,
sort it in call number order, and we'll print out the list (as compactly
as possible) and put checkmarks next to items as we find them.  I like
having a physical artifact of the inventory.  It can be annotated easily
and we have evidence that an item was seen by actual human eyeballs at a
point in time.

Kathleen Weessies
Geosciences Librarian
Head, Map Library
Coordinator, Collaborative Technology Labs
Michigan State University Main Library
366 W. Circle Drive W308
East Lansing, MI  48824
Office phone 517-884-0849