From:
Date:
Mon, 31 Oct 2011 08:36:50 -0500
Subject:        Re: Circulating paper topos and damage policies
Date:   Mon, 31 Oct 2011
From: Angie Cope

All items that circulate could be in a tube or a large envelope if item
can be folded. There should be a note taped on the tube or envelope
indicating due date and the obvious message that the item should come
back in the condition it leaves. It seems reasonable to have two copies
of local maps - topos for your region or even your whole state - one
flat, one folded. People out in the field probably prefer folded over flat.

On a related note, for a while some of our maps that we were allowing to
be sent out for ILL were coming back badly damaged. We have started to
include a yellow note with items that leave here for ILL indicating 'in
house use only.' That's slightly different, but apparently notes do
work. Also, making them bright colors to draw attention to them.

I also recommend that staff verbally describe the polity to patrons as
they're checking out the item.

Angie