From:
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:47:15 -0500
Subject: Edition statements and publication years for AMS maps
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:03:08 -0500
From: Falato, Brian <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
I'm working with a graduate assistant on retrospective cataloging of our
Army Map Service map collection.  We have a question about edition
statements on AMS maps and what should be listed as the year of
publication for them.

For instance, we have an AMS map titled Birjand (located in Iran.)  On
the map are these statements regarding publication history: "Printed by
Army Map Service, Corps of Engineers, 12-57."  Below this reads:
"Reprinted by AMS, 1951 from a third edition MDR map, dated 1946."  What
we transcribe as the edition statement says "AMS 3."

Is the AMS 3 truly an edition statement, or is this just a 3rd printing?
  Tnere's no indication any editorial action was taken after 1951.  I've
seen some records in OCLC for AMS maps that give the year of publication
as the year the information was compiled, with the AMS printing date
given afterward in parentheses.  For the Birjand map, following this
method, the publication year info would say 1951 (1957 printing).

My initial inclination would to be to use 1957 as the year of
publication, with a note describing the compilation or original printing
date by AMS.  I've told our GA that if a record in OCLC says AMS 2 in
the edition statement, and our map says AMS 3, then a new record is
called for.  But the way the publication information appears in some
records makes me question whether AMS 3 truly constitutes a 3rd edition,
and that it's more likely a 3rd printing, which would not necessitate
creation of a new record.

Could someone fill us in on AMS practices regarding edition statements?
  In the case of the Birjand map, should we use 1957 as the publication
date, based on the printing date listed and the AMS 3 designation, or
use something like 1951 (1957 printing) because 1951 was the last year
listed for editorial decisions and the AMS 3 just refers to the third
AMS printing?

Brian Falato
Serials/Maps Cataloger
Library System