From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alex Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 17:24:20 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
>Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 20:42:55 -0600
>From: Alex Barker <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Clarification--libraries only

As a curator at a natural history museum, maps are an important part of
what I do.  As an archaeologist, old maps are still more important (old
in the sense that many site descriptions refer to landmarks like
buildings and stream channels that are changeable, and maps from the
period of the description have special value).  In the past, the Dallas
Museum of Natural History has been privileged to receive obsolete or
duplicate maps from several libraries to add to its collections.  I note
that many offers of duplicates are stamped "libraries only."  Does this
mean depository libraries only, public map libraries only, or would it
be appropriate for public non-profit research institutions to request
material of this sort?  Having been fortunate enough to have received
materials from several of the librarians on this list, I'd rather not
waste their time or bandwidth (and there are two of you I still owe
postage--mea culpa).

Alex W. Barker
Chief Curator & Director of Science Programs
Dallas Museum of Natural History
PO Box 150349 Dallas, TX 75315
(214) 421-3466 ext. 244  FAX (214) 428-4356
[log in to unmask] OR [log in to unmask]
--- End Forwarded Message ---