From:
Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 10:10:08 -0500
Subject: US Railroad Maps
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 15:47:36 +1300
From: "Brian Marshall" <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
I am aware that there are lists of US state authorities that produce
highway
and transportation maps (thanks Carlos Diaz for your very useful
listing).
I am wondering if there is a similar listing for US railroad maps.   In
the
map collection at the University of Auckland Library (New Zealand), we
have
only a handful of railroad maps, dating from the late 1930s through to
the
early 1950s, for companies such as Illinois Central Railroad, Baltimore
and
Ohio Railroad, New York Central, Burlington and Quincy Railroad, Union
Pacific Railroad, and Southern Pacific Lines.  Thinking that we might
update
our collection, I started to do a Google search for some of these names
- it
seems that many of the companies have disappeared, have been swallowed
up by
other companies, and so on.   Is there a listing of railroad companies
that
produce these maps, preferably with email addresses, similar to Carlos
Diaz's listing for highway maps?   Also, we would welcome any current
duplicate railroad maps that libraries in the US may have for disposal.

Best wishes,

Brian Marshall
Subject Librarian- Geography & Environmental
  Science
University of Auckland Library
Private Bag 92019
Auckland,  NEW ZEALAND

Telephone:  64 - 9 - 3737599 extension 88452
Fax:        64 - 9 - 3737568
Web: http://www.auckland.ac.nz/lbr/geog/geogsubj.htm
"It is not good for the soul to travel faster than the trot of a camel".